Stumbled across a documentary on North Korea the other day, where the hosts were taken on tour to all of the nations staple landmarks. One in particular stood out, in the form of the International Friendship Exhibition, which is located 150 kilometers north of Pyongyang, on the Mysterious Fragrant Mountain – Myohyangsan.
It is a collection of over 100 different halls that house gifts presented to former leaders Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il from various foreign dignitaries visiting the country throughout the years. There are said to be over 200’000 gifts on display throughout the exhibition.
Some of this shit is pretty next level, and on the upcoming Hanukah wish list. Gifts include:
- A basketball signed by Michael Jordan given by former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright
- A bullet-proof limousine from former Soviet leader Joseph Stalin
- Stuffed Alligator with cocktail glasses from the Sandinist National Liberation Front of Nicaragua
- Miniature of the first ship to circumnavigate the world, presented by the employees of the Unop Publishers of Portugal
- Gold-miniature date tree presented by Ahmad Hassan Al-Bakr, President of the Republic of Iraq
- A crocodile skin suitcase from former Cuban leader Fidel Castro
- Craftwork “Native Home at Mangyongdae” presented by Jia Yi Xiang Firm in Hong Kong
- Gold key of Bucharest presented by Bucharest citizens in Romania
Really amazing to see each countries take on what they deem is a national treasure, literally. A lot of pimp shit out there worldwide.